Shaw Creek, a northern tributary of the Tanana River, drains the
Yukon-Tanana Uplands. As a result of this watershed's intrinsic value, the Alaska Boreal Forest Council and GW Scientific established three long term monitoring stations. The purpose of these stations is to gather much needed baseline data for the sustainable development of the Tanana River basin, such that multiple land uses can be supported while protecting the natural qualities of this watershed. Our other partners in this effort include the communities of Whitestone Farms and Shaw Creek, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the Alaska Department of Natural Resources (Division of Forestry), and Restoration Science and Engineering. We also appreciate the coordination and assistance of the Alaska Departments of Fish and Game and Natural Resources. Our funding resources are being matched by Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Nonpoint Source Pollution Program.
Do you frequent Shaw Creek Watershed and are interested in collecting data for our volunteer water quality program? If so, please contact Jan Dawe at Alaska Boreal Forest Council or Michael Lilly at GW Scientific. Download our Volunteers Needed Flyer for more information.
The data available at the following links are new and provisional. Please
check back soon to view new data and new features.
- Buffalo-Chip Hill Repeater Site: This site is on a hill adjacent to the south side of the confluence of the Delta and Tanana Rivers. It also is a partial data station.
- Caribou Creek Site: This site is in lower Shaw Creek at the confluence with Caribou Creek.
- Uplands Site: This site is located near the proposed Keystone 2 timber sale, located in the upper portion of the Keystone Creek Watershed.
- Gilles Creek Site: This site is located in upper Shaw Creek, at its confluence with Gilles Creek. Data will be placed up for this site following a winter visit to the site. It is not in range of the current radio network stations.
- Shaw Creek at Mouth Site: This site is located on Shaw Creek at the mouth on the north side of the Richardson Highway.
- Whitestone Creek Site: This site is located on the south side of the Tanana River and adjacent to the Shaw Creek Watershed. This station was established under the Upwelling Project and has been continued under this project.
- Stream Survey Data:Compressed version (Zip File) of data collected during the hydrological survey of the Shaw Creek Watershed. Last Updated: 8/31/01 2:30 pm.
Web-Site Development by